Thursday, February 21, 2008

From the Founder: C.H.E.K Yourself

I have to start by letting you know that this topic really fascinates me. I had heard about Paul Chek through my work in the wellness industry but never really looked that deep into his Institute or the C.H.E.K concept until a friend of mine, who is really into his health and wellness told me how he is working with a woman who is C.H.E.K certified instead of a Personal Trainer. Because of the enthusiasm and intensity in the way my friend shared this information with me, I jumped into detective-mode to get a better understanding.

He told me about tests he’d taken with his C.H.E.K practitioner that were more advanced than what a typical Personal Trainer and even some doctor perform. Excited about the programs they were about to embark upon, he also showed me the book she gave him, How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!, which I had seen before but never paid attention to its contents. The book, even though it looks like something for school kids if you quickly flip through it, is filled with detailed information and illustrations and is easy to understand and follow.

What drew me in even more was reading this page on the C.H.E.K Institute’s website and the interview I conducted with Josh Lebow, a Level 4 practitioner. This approach is the real deal when it comes to wellness and personal responsibility for your health and fitness (no one is going to do the work for you or help you get results if you’re not willing to do what it takes). The C.H.E.K approach takes it to another level (depending on your practitioner), which supports the whole mind, body and soul foundation of wellness and addresses spirituality and your thoughts.

I know a lot of people get turned off and maybe even offended when things start to go down this path, but I am the exact opposite because of what I know about achieving wellness, optimal health and happiness.

News Flash! Your health is completely tied into your emotions and spiritual outlook. Please understand spirituality is not religion, it is not faith- it is what guides you towards happiness, positivity and doing what’s right for yourself and others. Josh Lebow expresses, “True spirituality is taking responsibility of what you create moment-to-moment.” This means it is up to you to create your own health and happiness – no one else can and will do this for you.

Now, getting back to this level of spirituality, Josh discussed that they study (at the C.H.E.K Institute) how people tend chose guilt and pleasure. This was an “Ah Ha” moment for me because I do this see in life. Josh went on to say that people with chronic pain chose to continue to live with pain and won’t take the steps needed to alleviate and potentially eliminate the pain altogether because deep down they feel they don’t deserve to be pain-free. This notion is pretty deep but he goes on to say that we are a society of guilt-ridden people that would rather suffer than be happy and free of ailments because it makes us feel it is an easier way of life.

Josh gave the example that if someone does not feel pain [in their knees] they have to take on, in their mind, more responsibilities such as taking out the garbage or exercising regularly.

The C.H.E.K approach, on top of the health and fitness achievements, teaches people to move away from guilt and towards pleasure - you are deserving.

Who wouldn’t want all of that?

No comments: