Thursday, January 31, 2008

From the Founder: Probiotics

As I live a wellness lifestyle, taking western medication is never my first choice. However, in the world of disease and infections, antibiotics are necessary in some cases, which is why I love this week’s topic of Probiotics from our Weekly Wellness Guide.

Most of us catch a little bug or something each year (we’re not invincible). For those of us living a wellness lifestyle, our preventative measures keep us away from these bugs or allow our bodies to have more power to ensure they stay in the minor level of illness.

As you may know from reading some of my articles, I suffered from digestive problems that really made me miserable. Being my own detective (which I encourage all of you to be as well), I began trying to figure out the root of this issue because it needed to be solved immediately.

I learned how the digestive system works and how my diet affected this process. However, the fascinating part about my “investigation” was that there are good bacteria in our gut that are vital to our overall health. These good bacteria act like an army inside of our stomach — they fight off infections and keep things moving, if you know what I mean.

Last year, I battled with Urinary Tract Infections and had to take antibiotics to kill off the infections. While they helped clear my symptoms at the time, I knew that the antibiotics were also killing my good bacteria and that I could develop an immunity to the antibiotics.

We all need to note that even though antibiotics are necessary, we develop immunity to them when taken in high doses and high frequency. My mother is the first to take antibiotics anytime her doctor prescribes them to her and I worry if a time comes when she really needs to fight off something severe that her body will be “numb” to the antibiotics because of her high consumption.

I learned all of this from my investigation, and have been taking daily doses of Probiotics ever since. When I contracted the Urinary Tract Infection for the 3rd time, I found a natural remedy to combat my ailment, rather than just following normal medical protocol. And guess what — it worked! The product I used also educated me about which preventative measures to take to avoid going through it all over again! Now that’s Wellness at its Best!

Tiffany Houser
BalanceBoost

No comments: